Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition)
By Aaron Hillegass and Mikey Ward
About the Book
This introduction to programming and the Objective-C language is the first step on your journey from someone who uses apps to someone who writes them. The guide features short chapters and an engaging style to keep you motivated and moving forward. All while developing your critical thinking skills as a programmer. After all, Aaron is determined to help you understand what you’re doing - and why you’re doing it. Topics covered include:
- Programming basics: variables, loops, functions, etc.
- Objects, classes, methods, and messages
- Pointers, addresses, and memory management
- Using Xcode, Apple’s documentation, and other tools
- Classes from the Foundation framework
- ARC and retain cycles
- Delegation, target-action, and notification design patterns
- Compatible with Xcode 4.2, iOS 5, and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
About the Authors
Aaron Hillegass is the founder of Big Nerd Ranch. A former employee at NeXT and Apple, he has twenty years experience with Objective-C and Cocoa. Aaron wrote "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X," the standard text on developing Mac applications.