Announcing our Swift and iOS 8 Roadshow
Beginning in October, we are taking our classes on the road for a Swift and iOS 8 Roadshow. We’re offering a series of one-day classes in eight cities covering Swift and iOS 8, just for experienced iOS developers.
I’m excited to teach the opening classes in Atlanta. On Oct. 2, we’ll begin with the iOS 8 bootcamp, and on Oct. 3, we will follow up with the Swift bootcamp. I’m thrilled to be a part of this series that will help iOS developers stay on the cutting edge and get prepared for the future.
Swift One-Day Training
We have offered an introduction to Swift in our iOS and Cocoa bootcamps since shortly after Swift was announced, but if you want an intensive training focused on Swift development, this is your chance to take advantage of Swift’s unique opportunities. We’ll spend the day taking a tour of Swift’s features, getting comfortable with its syntax via numerous presentations and hands-on exercises.
In the Swift one-day class, you’ll get a series of talks that will demonstrate the similarities and differences between Swift and Objective-C, and how to to map the concepts you know and love in Objective-C to Swift. You’ll also learn about Swift’s features that distinguish it from Objective-C and help it to be a more powerful and modern language.
After the bootcamp, you’ll also be able to:
- Use and understand Swift’s basic types
- Declare and use variables and constants
- Leverage Swift’s control flows and looping constructs
- Create and use collections
- Know the power and use case of optionals
- Understand enums, structs and classes, and how to use them
- Develop and use simple to more nuanced functions
- Create closures and effectively use them
- Understand Swift’s new initializer pattern
- Work effectively with properties
- Implement Swift’s functional patterns
- Utilize extensions to enhance Swift’s “out-of-the-box” functionality
- Create and conform to protocols to develop a blueprint of functionality
- Create generics to increase your code’s flexibility and power
Development to the Power of 8
In our iOS 8 one-day bootcamp, you will learn the latest features introduced with iOS 8 and Xcode 6. We’ll show you how to master the biggest iOS release ever, and how iOS 8’s extensibility and adaptability improve the development experience.
We will cover the latest tools, techniques and frameworks, from changes to View Controller architecture to debugging, frameworks and extensions.
You’ll also learn how to:
- Use the latest layout and debugging features in Xcode 6
- Build embedded frameworks to modularize application development
- Let your app share content to a web service on behalf of other apps
- Put a widget in the Notification Center to highlight your content
- Use iCloud as a cloud backend for your app
- Transfer work-in-progress between an iOS and Mac app
- Present and use the new document picker for opening files from other apps
Ready to claim your spot? Register now before seats are filled. Starting today, we’re offering a three-day early enrollment window to our bootcamp alumni. Signups will open to the general public on Monday, Aug. 18. Each one-day bootcamp lasts from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., with lunch and snacks provided.
And if you’re just getting started with iOS development, we’ve got you covered. Just register for our Beginning iOS bootcamp. You’ll learn the Swift language and how to use it to interact with the frameworks we cover throughout the week.