Hack Night at Highgroove
Highgroove hosted our monthly Hack Night, and with 20 attendees, this was our largest yet.
To program a computer in a clever, virtuosic, and wizardly manner. Ordinary computer jockeys merely write programs; hacking is the domain of digital poets. Hacking is a subtle and arguably mystical art, equal parts wit and technical ability, that is rarely appreciated by non-hackers. See hacker. – Urban Dictionary: hack
Hack Nights are a chance for Highgroovers to simply “hack” which means: to experiment, learn, and play with technologies we might not get to during our day-to-day. So, what did we hack on?
- the io language using Day 1 of the io chapter in the Seven Languages in Seven Weeks book
- game programming (the wolfbrain) on the Sifteo Game Cubes in C#
- a remote music playing server with voting and control from our chat room for the office
- adding functionality to some of our favorite ruby gems and libraries including brakeman, and a yet-unreleased crazy-math backend algorithm solver
- an iOS app for awarding Highgroovers the coveted Highgroove Award
- a search-across-the-company app using some new search technologies powered by Ruby
- and much, much more….